Wednesday, September 14, 2011

surprised adoption

My life with advisers. Elementary my parents were my adviser and told me I could be anything I wanted. So at five I decided Veterinarian was the right fit for me. My teachers fostered that desire, and then I learned about junior high. Junior high introduced me to my first counselor, Mr. M. During our first meeting about future careers, I told him I was going to be a Veterinarian.  His response "wouldn't you rather be an assistant, or technician." I told him I would rather be a Veterinarian. His response "I think assistant would be a better fit." Thank you Mr. M. High school led me down a road with two years with a counselor who wanted to be Mr. Cool and not help me at all.  Luckily I had two years with a counselor who set me up with internships and honors classes. When I got to college I was excited to take classes and get involved with my major. My first semester meeting with my adviser I felt like I was in Junior high again.  I was asked what I was getting in my biology class, and said around a B, her response, "I was expecting lower." Second semester I went in for a tentative schedule, and this is what I was told, "I would recommend you take a personal communications class."  Ha! I am in that class now and I love it, although I'm not sure its helping with interpersonal communication, I mostly laugh. Third semester I went to see my adviser. I asked her if there was a penalty for taking the gre twice, her response "I don't know, I'm not on the board that goes over scores." I thought she should at least have an idea because every student she deals with has to take the gre. I asked her what classes I needed to take, and she told me I had to take human physiology and anatomy.  I asked her when that class became a requirement, and she said it had always been a requirement. So I ignored that, and continued on with the meeting.  Then finally I asked her "when did vet schools require human phys." Her response "Vet school, I thought you wanted to go to med school."  If I wanted med school why would I  make an appointment with the college of agriculture adviser, directly over pre-vet students?  Then I asked her if she knew of any research opportunities. She of course said no, and gave me a list of Professor's emails. Adding classes for my junior year, I find out she is in charge of undergrad research programs.  So nice of her to tell me.

No comments:

Post a Comment