Thursday, November 29, 2012

It was Summer

It was summer and fairs, canoeing, fires, hiking, running, rodeos and then it was fall. With fall came cold, snow, leaves, and school.  All of this is normal and all of this is new.  But then came "forgive me if i stutter from all of the clutter in my head, but I could fall asleep in those eyes, like a water bed." Sorry to all of those reading but this is a post about long distance relationships.
First I would like to start out with asking how couples do it? I started dating one month before school started. At that time we were five minutes from each other and could spend every evening together and every weekend having fun. Now we are just over 150 miles from each other, try and see each other on the weekends and talk every day.
"Gulp we are going on un-chartered waters, without a chart." Yup that's right all of this is new and frustrating,   but fun and exciting. I don't know what will happen but everyday is a new adventure.
Texts like this make every day apart that much better, "I appreciate who you are and what you stand for.  Thank you for your help.  Thank you for being you.  Rare find.  I'm very lucky to have caught your eye."
And ones like this "All the girls in my ASL class asked if I had a girl friend."
"Did they give you a sign?"
"That was a terrible pun."
"Terribly awesome?"
Most of our conversations aren't in person, they are over the phone, over text, and sometimes the occasional message. Texts about Provo girlfriends or Logan boyfriends are sent as jokes. Trust is what keeps us close and jealousy is what tears some apart. The words mean so much more out loud, and are reinforced through writing. "I'm sorry that I broke your trust. It was very rude of me and I am sorry.  You deserve much better respect than that.  I'm sorry I didn't show you the respect you deserve.  I'm sorry."
Once in awhile he will send me three word texts "Check it out."
"I'll check you out!"
"You wish."
And occasionally I send him things to see what he will write. "You've got what it takes."
"So tell me why can't this be love?"
"Because I've got them moves like Jagger?"
"I dunno about that one."
I get worried and we have misunderstandings.
Josh during work one day "Hey I love you lots okay."
"okay I LOVE you too...is everything alright?"
"Almost died just wanted you to know."
"Died doing what? Are you okay...at work, did you make it to work?"
"We had an inch of clearance each way, my head almost popped like a grape."
"You frightened me we're in a big fight."
Later that day I wrote "One of our hierarchy of needs is security do you feel secure?"
"Most times."
"Sometimes when otters are sleeping to keep from drifting apart they hold paws, did that help?"
"Somewhat."
A lot of days we don't know what is happening in the other person's life, until we are told about it after.
"Why were you up so early if you ddin't work."
"Had to drive my happy butt in there to find out."
"At least you were happy!"
And sometimes we assume we are in the same place experiencing everything at the same time. I asked him "Did you hear that guy sneeze?"
"lol probably what startled me so I dropped a cup of nasty water all over myself."
Living apart you can't run over to them and make sure everything is okay, you have to rely on other forms of communication.  That other form is not immediate, and you can ignore or flat out refuse to answer. In my case I may not answer and will get a text like this.
"I'm not saying that. I'm saying that I have no way of knowing the difference between pissed and dead from here. So, if for me you wouldn't mind letting me know the difference between pissed and dead I would appreciate it."

I don't know how other people do it, but this is us.

No comments:

Post a Comment