Monday, September 30, 2013

Manual

My whole life has been all about the automatics, yes even the '72 Chevy (this is the original dashboard in the Chevy) was an automatic.  It might surprise you to know we didn't even own a manual until two years ago, a '71 Chevy.  However, it would only surprise you if you knew my dad.  My dad has driven a "standard" since he started driving, he drove trucks cross country, and loves the manuals. Yet none of his kids knew how to drive one, until one week ago.  My brother learned very fast when he was put in charge of a tractor.  I learned Saturday in a church parking lot.  I didn't pick it up very fast, not that anyone does. I almost gave up when a little boy came riding through the parking lot on his bike. After about ten minutes his mom came driving up and stopped next to us, and asked if everything was alright.  And then she realized what was happening and said 'oh are you learning to drive a manual.' I said "Yes." She replied "Got it, my son said that someone was stuck at the church and the car kept dying, but I understand, everyone goes through this."
The church parking lot was my last experience with a stick.  I was fortunate, however, to get a job at a dairy, and all they have are manuals. So when I was riding with my boss and he left me with the truck and had to run an errand with another person, it was my sink or swim moment. The first hour of driving was rough, I didn't really kill it, because I didn't really get it started. Pushing in a clutch and then turning the key was new for me. I love manuals, I love shifting, and driving them, I'm not a pro, but I've definitely self  taught myself most everything I know, especially reverse. Manuals can be daunting if all you've had is automatics, but never stop driving them. I love it. Every weekend I get to go to the dairy and drive the trucks. Then after being in them for twelve plus hours, I get in my car and look for the clutch and have a bit of a panicked moment when I can't find it. Makes me wish I would have listened to Josh and got a manual after all. For me it's not a learn everything in one day, I am a slow self learner, and I have to do things myself I can't be taught through someone showing or telling me what to do. After two days I learned how to shift and start on hills without dying, after three days I was shifting into fifth gear, which is hard when all you have is short stretches of gravel roads.
Anyway manuals are the way to go, never stop trying. I never thought I would pick it up, buts its ten times easier than you will ever think it is.  My mistake was listening to other people telling me when to shift, listen to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment