Wednesday, November 2, 2011

corn maze

Finding yourself in a corn maze. That was my Monday.  For the past month I've been rediscovering who I am, where I'm going, and what's going to happen to me. Stress is the biggest indicator of my mood.  Over the last four months I've been stressed to the max, a test a week, and finally a break. Just kidding, one more to go. So what is a college kid to do. Go hunting, hiking and horse back riding. Cram the week before, and get an okay score. Until you realize that grad school is just a year away, and you have to get more then decent grades.  I have an interview and a test Monday to see just where I stand with my acceptance level. Its fair to say that I've been living in anticipation to be accepted into Vet school for the past fifteen years, and I could screw that all up in four months. I lived my whole life volunteering, working, and getting as much experience as I could, to be accepted into college.  The fact that my grades could be the determining factor scares me. I took 18 credits just to see if I could do it, and volunteer at the same time, along with study parties, Thursday friend lunches and marathon training. It turns out its harder then it looks on paper.  Organic Chemistry and physics are comparable to an up-hill marathon for my mind...which I'm struggling with. I've been told to not worry so much I'm only twenty.  But I'm an extremely independent responsible twenty year old. However in the last month and a half I've forgotten a lot of my priorities, and let my social life run rampant. I'm not learning from my past, because I will continue on like this until January. My parents raised me to be an independent thinker, so if I'm extremely stubborn, relentless, and stuck in my way, blame them. I'm a product of my raising.  My professor sent me an email saying he needed to see my ASAP, which is usually never good.  So I knocked on his door, at nine in the morning, and he said "come in, I was just thinking about you." but he said it in a serious tone, which got me even more worried. So I sat down, and he told me a student applied to be an Undergraduate Teaching Fellow, but did not meet the grade requirement. So he said "I immediately thought of you, you have the gpa, experience and the knowledge of the curriculum." So I said "as long as it fits my schedule I can do it."  Immediately we headed off to my coucelor to plan out my schedule for spring semester, and everything worked.  So you are reading the blog of  a future UTF.  That is how you get a job without trying, and not thinking about working. The pay is not great, but honestly I could only think about how good it will look on a resume. I'm a little worried, I just want to be the best out there, so fingers crossed I will be. I've realized that its easy to tell someone to relax and not worry about it, but this is my life, and I can't relax, because it won't always be alright.  How did my meeting go? It was with two WSU admissions counselors/professors. I'd like to think they were impressed by me, but surprised I left so much out of my resume.  I was told my Personal statement was one of the most important letters I would write, with only 5000 characters to do it in. Research wasn't a make or break deal-which was really good to hear.  Having a spot in the Pre-vet club officers club was a plus, and volunteering, interning, and being well rounded were important.  Along with keeping my grades up I am on the right track, I need to strengthen my science gpa, become a better speaker, and not act so nervous. So here is to another week of cramming, and having a a college kid good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment