Saturday, March 26, 2011

Dashboard in a Chevy

Chevy's are a way of my life, I've been raised around and in them. So many countless trips have  been made squished four across in a '72 Chevy, Cheyenne. This truck was handed to my brother and after a new motor, it was running.  Dad had to get a newer bigger Chevy, a '95. I was  so happy to see the new shiny boat in our driveway.  I ran in the house and grabbed all my dolls, and began strapping them in the seats. As I grew up, my brother started to drive, and I went everywhere I could with him. I was the annoying little sister, dang good at it. We've been to rodeo's, horse riding, feeding, talking, listening to music, getting hay, getting gas. Some of the best memories were made in the Chevy laughing and joking.  No feet on the dashboard in the Chevy.  I wouldn't dream of it.  The sun has cracked the dash, falls apart with the slightest touch. Holes in the floor board, cellphone used as the radio, knobs fall off, and the rust in the bed are all part of what makes it great.I have yet to sleep in the bed of a Chevy but during long school years and noisy neighbors I have been found in the backseat of a Chevy in the dead of winter. Just remember to lock the doors when you leave.  Lectures and long discussions about life and where I'm headed have taken place on the tail gate. Countless hours of laughing and joking, and trading stories have been told leaning against the back bumper. The paint is cracked and peeling, dents on the body scratches on the side and it still runs. Its a shelter and a shield. Its a multi-purpose vehicle that can do anything with the right driver. The '72 Chevy will never be replaced, the '71 Chevy taught me to drive a stick.  The clutch sticks, the gear shift is rusty, and the door just broke. Round the field we would go gradually getting better with every round, and every story told.  The only thing it couldn't do is mix up the terrain. Don't slam the door, never, you wouldn't know what would happen. Lap belts in the Chevy save you from the law, the steel cage saves you from the world. Easy to work on, and easy to fix, what you see is what you get.

No comments:

Post a Comment