Thursday, April 19, 2012

Service

What a whirl wind my life has been lately.  Ups and downs, and looking for positives and seeing negatives. Getting involved and feeling good. One of the things that is constant in my life is service.  Being involved in the community.  I don't know how to not ask people if they need help.  I love it, and I'm not looking for slap on the back, or even a thank you.  I love helping people and making their life a little easier. The old quote that says "it takes a village to raise a child," is oh so very true.  I couldn't imagine being where I'm at without all the people who have supported me and helped me out.  My service pales in comparison to all those who have befriended me and have been my guiding light. I'm not a saint, far from it, I do like being recognized, but that's the cherry on top.  I love to keep people smiling. So the email I got came as a complete shock and surprise, almost made me cry.
Hello

Jorgena Miller, On behalf of the National Residence Hall Honorary here at USU, I would like to congratulate you on your nomination for an “Of the Month” award for April. This is a recognition tool used by students and staff living on-campus to recognize those around them that have done an outstanding job and are making a difference. Being nominated and winning on a campus level gives you the potential of also being nominated and recognized on a regional and national level. Thank you for all that you are doing and keep up the great work!

Here is what was said about you:
Jorgena is an amazing individual. She is a studious student, always striving for academic excellence, a great friend, and on top of that, she is training for a marathon. Jorgena has done a lot in the month of April to help others. She created an Easter Egg hunt for each of her roommates to help them feel a little more at home during Easter. She even customized each Easter Egg Hunt to what the person liked, leaving little quotes around their rooms giving hints to where hidden treasures lay.
She has had at least one test every week in April, and she has spent countless hours studying for those tests. However, if anyone needed her help or just wanted to hang out with her, she would make time for that individual. Along with being such an excellent student, she is a UTF for a class, and with that job she has taken on a huge amount of responsibility. She has been very busy UTFing in April as she prepares the students in her Supplemental Instruction class for upcoming finals. She has definitely gone above and beyond the call of duty in her job.
Jorgena is very busy with classes and a job, and yet she still finds time to serve. In April she has helped with "A-Week of Service" whenever she could find the time, and she even helped one of her roommates with her NRHH Recognition duties, even though Jorgena is not in NRHH. She is always trying to find ways to serve. She volunteered at Dance Fest through RHA, just because she had a few spare hours on her weekend and she heard that she could go do more service. Jorgena is an amazing example to me of what service is really about. Jorgena has truly gone above and beyond the extra mile in April.

If you have any questions please feel free to email us at nrhh@aggiemail.usu.edu.

NRHH, Big Blue Chapter
Residents Hall Association
Utah State University
nrhh@aggiemail.usu.edu


Thank you to whomever nominated me.  This was wonderful to read. I hope someday I can be apart of this association and write OTM'S for other people, and hopefully make their day better.  Knowing that what they do is appreciated and not taken for granted. Love it and accept it.

No comments:

Post a Comment