Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Life follows life

Nobody ever says that weddings follow engagements, because perhaps it is implied. Or maybe everybody says it, I'm just too stubborn to listen.
Weddings! Wow! First you pick a partner then you pick a ring, and then you have to pick flowers, people, venues, colors, dresses, shoes, attire, tables, settings, arrangements, a budget. The list really does go on forever. Under every heading there are subheadings, under every category there are subcategories. I mean, I've never been a fan of eloping, until I got engaged. Now I'm all about Vegas and Elvis. Bring on the drive through ceremony.
I was warned before hand that everyone will try and tell you how to do the wedding, and who the wedding is for. So I will tell you how Josh and I are going to do it, because it is for us. It is our day to share with everyone.
Fortunately my to be sister in law is awesome. She recently was wed, and is giving me the greatest help right now. Planning is usually not my thing, so it is very important to take everything one day at a time, and to remember my wedding is in a year and half. I don't know how brides do it in less time.
Most importantly for us is having a budget so we know how much to save. However making a budget is pretty impossible without considering the guest list, the venue, the season, etc.
My suggestion pick a date. Pick a season, pick a month, pick a day. We wanted spring.  We picked May. Our date was hard and still up in the air.  It will be in May, but none of the days look promising. Once you have a season you can pick styles and colors.
Colors was the hardest, and I had a lot of decision constipation. After looking at many color schemes, we went with our favorite colors. Blue and Green! Thankfully there are a lot of helpful sites on the internet. Once you have colors, you can pick flowers, you can look at invitations, you can get an idea of what a budget should be.
There are step by step guides out there on how to do it, but my mind works like a disorganized library, with letters and words strewn about waiting for the author to put them in order. Guides and step by step don't work for me. My planning is much like my cleaning. I can start in the bathroom cleaning the shower, notice the towels are dirty, wash them, look for more laundry end up in the kitchen, notice the dishes are dirty, start to clean them, realize there are no clean rags. Head back to the laundry start folding, put the clothes away which takes me to the bedroom, there is dirt on the floor, so I start vacuuming, start the vacuum in the next room, find dog toys, put them back in the crate in the bathroom, notice the shower is still not clean, start cleaning it again. This is how wedding planning goes for me as well. Less showers and dirty clothes and more flowers and dress styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment